Eleven businesses in the energy sector have joined together with a new pledge supporting climate action and human rights. The eleven businesses, of which NKT is one, have created the Powering Net Zero Pact. The companies promise to uphold a series of social, environmental and corporate commitments.
- I am proud that NKT is one of the founding members of the Powering Net Zero Pact, as we are committed to connecting a greener world in a sustainable way. As one of the world’s major power cable manufacturers we play an important role in the transition to renewable energy and the decarbonization of society, and we are happy to support our partner, SSE, in this great initiative, says Alexander Kara, President and CEO of NKT, who was present at the signing in Glasgow this week.
The Powering Net Zero Pact contains five shared commitments, which the founding partners sign up for. They are:
- Work towards 1.5°C science-based carbon targets
- Disclose wider environment metrics
- Set waste reduction targets and incorporate circularity
- Create a roadmap for net zero skills and guarantee fair work standards
- Identify shared responsible developer/constructor/operator principles
In 2020, NKT signed up for the Science Based Target initiative as the first major power cable company to become a net-zero emissions company no later than 2050 and committed at the same time to reduce its carbon footprint by 5% annually on average.